Query Processing Language (QPL)
A Search Engine Independent Technology for Advanced Query Processing
- Automated query parsing is an important but much neglected part of sophisticated search applications
- For most organizations, query parsing rules which support key business processes represent important intellectual property
- QPL enables query parsing rules to be efficiently captured, deployed and maintained in a way that is independent of both the search engine and the user interface or application
Automated query parsing plays a number of important roles within search systems. It provides a method to:
- Improve user-submitted queries, in context, by automatically creating better (more specific) queries. Better queries means better search results, and improved user satisfaction, regardless of which search engine is being used
- Control and fine-tune relevancy ranking based on query-specific criteria
- Deal with the exceptions that often conspire to make enterprise search roll-out difficult. For example, security exception handling that cannot be efficiently addressed through index-side processing
QPL can be used to create complex query structures from multiple inputs such as security constraints, user interface controls, geo-location, and other information about the user or the environment.
For further information or an informal discussion, contact us.