Top 3 Search Features for Improving User Experience
Search is the interface between a company’s data and its users. In today’s technologically-minded society, the search interface has gone beyond the traditional desktop and integrates with your smartphones, tablets, wearables devices, and other appliances. Whether your company runs an e-commerce platform, data- and content-rich website, intranet, or any application that handles data, good search is critical to information discovery, analysis, and ultimately, your bottom line.
Watch our Search and Business Analyst discuss the top 3 search features that can help improve your user experience.
Is Bad Search Costing You?
Think about how a bad search experience could adversely affect your business. Here are just a few examples of what we’ve commonly seen:
- Lower web click-through rates that indicate lost conversions and revenue for e-commerce or publishing sites
- Higher volume of helpdesk calls and customer support costs
- Lower customer satisfaction
- Bad word-of-mouth on review sites and social media
Consider These Search Features to Improve Your User Experience
From our experience working with customers to implement and improve a wide range of search applications, we’ve identified the top three search features that can significantly enhance your user experiences and conversion rates.
- Query Completion / Autocomplete – This feature predicts the rest of a word or phrase that a user is typing into the search box and provides the user with a list of possible suggestions. Query completion is most effective when the suggestions are based on popular search queries or high-value queries identified by the organization.
- Relevancy Ranking - As your data grows, so does the difficulty of ensuring that the best-matched results show up first. Constantly improving your data tagging, assessing site search performance, and tweaking your relevancy algorithms will be key to search relevancy. It’s also worth noting that, as your organization becomes more mobile and the demand to access data anywhere increases, adjusting your relevancy algorithms to show the best-matched results on smaller screen sizes is critical. Download our guideline for improving search relevancy.
- Personalization / Predictive Recommendations – The personalization of search relies on big data processing and log analytics to show the most relevant recommendations based on real-time and past data about users’ search queries, click activities, and even their locations and devices. Personalized results and predictive recommendations help users shorten search time and be more productive. In today’s busy world, providing the answers before the user even thinks of the question is critical to maintaining high user satisfaction.
By providing your users the best search experience possible, your ultimate goals could be:
- to show users the best answers as fast as possible
- to build brand loyalty, ultimately reducing costs and boosting profits
- to be the search and customer support leader in the industry
No matter what your organization’s goal is, continuously using best practices and improving search will create a positive impact on your business.