Data Lake Solutions for Life Sciences
Today's life science organizations may find it challenging to process and extract full value out of the vast data they collected – which may include clinical, genomics, research, and medical records. And in recent years, data lake solutions have emerged to provide a more cost-effective, scalable, and flexible way to discover insights.
DATA LAKE BENEFITS
- Data richness – store and process structured and unstructured data from multiple sources and types, including XML, lab notes, JSON, audio, image, video, etc.
- User productivity - search is a universal tool for finding information. Your end-users can get the data they need quickly via a search engine, without SQL knowledge.
- Cost savings and scalability – when built on an open source stack, the application has zero licensing costs, allowing your system to quickly scale as data grows.
- Complementary to existing data warehouses – data warehouse and data lake can work together to deliver a more integrated data strategy.
- Expandability – our data lake framework can be applied to a variety of life science use cases.
By delivering these data lake benefits to our life science clients, we have enabled them to:
- Ingest and process a massive amount of data in different formats and from multiple repositories
- Analyze and visualize data from various sources via a central dashboard
- Search over unstructured research data containing full-text
- Focus on discovering new research findings
- Ensure that life sciences research funding can be obtained more easily
Read about how we helped ingest over 1 Petabyte of unstructured content into a pharmaceutical client's data lake.
UNSTRUCTURED DATA PROCESSING EXPERTISE
We have worked with large hospitals, research institutions, bioinformatics companies, and healthcare organizations to create scalable data lakes that enable them to ingest data from multiple repositories, such as:
- EMR (Electronic Medical Records) systems
- DNA sequencing data for their patients
- DNA mutations/variations aggregated from multiple public databases
- Medical literature content
- Lab and patient notes
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing data
Often, the data in data lakes is not in a format readily available for easy aggregation and fast access from end-user UI applications. Much of the raw data is in an unstructured form expressed as file formats unique to and accessible only from specialized research tools. Search and analytics tools can address this challenge, making data easily-accessible to intended end-users (e.g. researchers) and enabling better insight discovery and collaboration.
We work with your team to gather specific requirements, understand your challenges, and help create a custom data lake solution based on three core components:
- Search engine - allows for substantial performance improvements and query capabilities not supported by SQL-based engines, including faceted and full-text search across many data sets. We can help you select a search engine that works best for your needs or develop a solution built on your existing search engine.
- Advanced content processing - unstructured and structured data can be parsed and ingested in a format easily accessible from web applications. Our Aspire Content Processing framework can support this task effectively.
- End-user/researcher dashboards - on top of the search engine indexes, a research dashboard/application UI can pull together data from multiple sources and in different varieties into a unified web-based interface. This allows end-users to perform cross-domain research studies via search, analysis, and visualization of the data.
Contact us to learn more about how custom-built data lake solutions can benefit your organization.