Data Lake Solutions for Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
Today's pharmaceutical manufacturers may find it challenging to process and extract full value out of the vast manufacturing data they collected. A wide range of valuable pharmaceutical data is found in unstructured formats, such as PDFs, MS Office documents, email .msg files, as well as images and miscellaneous text formats.
How do pharmaceutical companies make the best use of all this data efficiently and cost-effectively? In recent years, data lake solutions have emerged to provide a more scalable, cost-effective, and flexible way to discover insights thanks to:
- Data richness – store and process structured and unstructured data from multiple sources and types, including XML, text, JSON, audio, image, video, etc.
- User productivity - search is a universal tool for finding information. Your end-users can get the data they need quickly via a search engine, without SQL knowledge.
- Cost savings and scalability – when built on an open source stack, the application has zero licensing costs, allowing your system to quickly scale as data grows.
- Complementary to existing data warehouses – data warehouse and data lake can work together to deliver a more integrated data strategy.
- Expandability – our data lake framework can be applied to a variety of life science use cases.
DELIVERING DATA LAKE BENEFITS TO PHARMACEUTICAL MANUFACTURERS
By delivering these data lake benefits to our pharmaceutical clients, we have provided them the ability to:
- Search and run analytics over organization-wide content from a central UI to derive insights from past research
- Respond to regulatory compliance requests
- Detect anomalies in manufacturing batch data to avoid costly defective products
- Better analyze data to improve drug production trends and comparisons, traceability, and factors contributing to yield
- Fulfill a myriad of other research and analytics needs
Read about how we helped ingest over 1 Petabyte of unstructured content into a pharmaceutical client's data lake.
Often, the data in data lakes is not in a format readily available for easy aggregation and fast access from end-user UI applications. Much of the raw data is in an unstructured form expressed as file formats unique to and accessible only from specialized pharmaceutical applications. Search and analytics tools can address this challenge, making data easily-accessible to intended end-users (e.g. researchers) and enabling more effective insight discovery and collaboration.
We work with your team to gather specific requirements, understand your challenges, and help create a custom data lake solution based on three core components:
- Search engine - allows for substantial performance improvements and query capabilities not supported by SQL-based engines, including faceted and full-text search across many data sets. We can help you select a search engine that works best for your needs or develop a solution built on your existing search engine.
- Advanced content processing - unstructured and structured data can be parsed and ingested in a format easily accessible from web applications. Our Aspire Content Processing framework can support this task effectively.
- End-user/researcher dashboards - on top of the search engine indexes, a research dashboard/application UI can pull together data from multiple sources and in different varieties into a unified web-based interface. This allows end-users to perform cross-domain research studies via search, analysis, and visualization of the data.
Contact us to learn more about how data lake solutions can improve your pharmaceutical manufacturing operations.