Data Lake Solutions for Healthcare
A Search and Analytics Platform for Improving Healthcare Plans and Treatments
Today's healthcare organizations find it challenging to process and extract full value out of the vast data they collected, including clinical, genomics, medical, and research data. The emergence of data lakes provides healthcare organizations a cost-effective, scalable, and flexible way to:
- Ingest and store valuable data from multiple sources
- Process and make the data available and easily accessible to end-users for analysis
- Develop personalized healthcare plans and treatments that improve patients’ current health and alleviate future health risks
At Search Technologies, we bring our specialized expertise in search and big data analytics to help build scalable data lake solutions for customers in the healthcare industry. We have worked with large hospitals to create data lakes that enable them to ingest data from multiple repositories, such as:
- EMR (Electronic Medical Records) systems
- DNA sequencing data for their patients
- DNA mutations/variations aggregated from multiple public databases
- Medical literature content
Often, the data in data lakes is not in a format readily available for easy aggregation and fast access from end-user UI applications. Much of the raw data is in an unstructured form expressed as file formats unique to and accessible only from specialized research tools. Search and analytics tools can address this challenge, making data easily accessible to intended end-users (researchers, physicians, etc.) and enabling more effective analysis and collaboration.
DATA LAKE SOLUTION OVERVIEW
As every healthcare organization is unique, we work with the customer's internal teams to gather their specific requirements, understand their specific challenges, and help them create a custom data lake solution based on three core components:
- Search Engine - allows for substantial performance improvements as well as query capabilities not supported by SQL-based engines, including faceted and full-text search across many data sets. We can help you select a search engine that works best for your needs or develop the solution based on the search engine of your choice.
- Advanced Content Processing - unstructured and structured data can be parsed and ingested in a format easily accessible from web applications. Search Technologies' Aspire Content Processing framework can support this task effectively.
- End-User / Researcher Dashboards - on top of these search engine indexes, a research dashboard/application UI can pull together clinical data, genomics data, medical literature, and other needed data into a unified web-based interface. This allows users to perform cross-domain research studies via search, analysis, and visualization of the data. Below is an example of such dashboard.
For our healthcare and research institute customers, the robust, customizable data lake solutions have enabled their researchers and authorized users to:
- Analyze and visualize data from various sources via a central dashboard
- Search over healthcare data containing full-text
- Focus on discovering cures for diseases
- Ensure that healthcare research funding can be obtained more easily
Contact us to learn more about how custom-built data lake solutions can benefit your organization.