Data Model Design
- In many organizations, the management of structured information benefits from the application of standards and processes such as Master Data Management (MDM)
- Such initiatives usually exclude unstructured information, despite the fact that 80% of corporate information is unstructured
- Data Model Design (DMD) is a methodology, developed by Search Technologies in conjunction with a number of blue-chip customers, for applying standards and processes to leverage unstructured content
- Data Model Design is an important foundation for the building and maintenance of high quality search systems, or business insight applications based on unstructured "big data"
PROCESS FIRST, THEN TECHNOLOGY CHOICES
Any application that relies on unstructured information can benefit from Data Model Design. DMD provides a documented record of:
- User needs, in terms of search requirements to support business processes
- The properties and format of the unstructured data, including how it evolves
- The content enhancement and transformation processes necessary to ensure that user needs are met
Data Model Design informs technology choices, and helps organizations to take the right decisions. All too often, enterprise search projects begin with the purchase of a software licence, rather than the study of what search users and applications actually need.
SUPPORTING BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE AND DATA VISUALIZATION
Experienced builders of enterprise search systems know that unstructured data typically needs to be cleaned, normalized and enriched to provide optimum search quality. These processes are also important to Business Intelligence (BI), Content Analytics and Data Visualization applications. Organizations are looking to derive value from unstructured data through analyses. Actionable intelligence can only be gained if the input data is of a known and consistent quality.
Data Model Design provides a transparent framework in which this can be achieved.
Contact us to discuss your requirements for data model design.