Proagrica’s Platform for Precision Agriculture Boosts Crop Yield and Profits
“It has been a pleasure to work with our trusted partner, Search Technologies, to develop the Agility analytics platform for the Proagrica division.”
- Graeme McCracken, Managing Director, Proagrica
Watch Proagrica's success story to learn more
RELX is a leading, global provider of B2B information, data services, analytics tools, and workflow solutions across multiple industries. The company has more than 28,000 employees in 180 countries.
With 9.6 billion people in the world by 2050, Proagrica, a RELX company, is focused on enabling the agriculture industry to feed the world more sustainably into the future. Evidence-based production, a method of farming that embraces technology and utilizes data to improve on-farm production, is at the heart of Agility, Proagrica’s new data analytics platform, bringing critical insight to support higher-yielding and more efficient farming practices.
- Provide better business insights across a large number of data sets for UK farmers, manufacturers, and retailers in the agricultural supply chain
- Help customers (UK farmers) produce higher quality agricultural products
- Increase crop yield by delivering high-value insights into production
The challenge was to provide a platform for its customers to collect, organize, analyze, and visualize comprehensive data sets from a multitude of different data sources across UK farms in a manner that would not overwhelm users. This data includes:
- Soil type
- Crop type
- Farm data
- Satellite data (future)
- Drone data (future)
- Machinery data (combine harvester)
In the first phase of the project, Search Technologies was engaged to take data from the data sources (as above), and merge all of them into a single data source, with all the entities and attributes organized according to a standardized canonical model.
The second phase of the project will expose that data through a user interface and a data service using technologies such as:
- Elasticsearch – open source search engine, based on Lucene
- React – open source operating system compatible with Microsoft Windows
- HPCC - open source, data intensive computing system platform developed by LexisNexis Risk Solutions
Based on the consolidated and enhanced data, Agility helps improve profitability of the farmer and drive value to every participant in the supply chain.
The solution provides in-season analytics displaying crop protection, planting, and nutrition operations across UK farms. This allows for in-depth analysis based on crop, soil type, region, cropping stage, and much more, enabling UK farmers to identify trends, threats, and opportunities as they occur.
Enriched market insights, greater visibility across the entire supply chain, and enhanced traceability for better provenance, will enable better decision-making at an individual business level, as well as better stewardship and use of agricultural resources.