Rocket Software NXT 4.5: Now Available
After months in the making, we’re happy to announce that the newest version of NXT is now available! As an implementation partner with Rocket Software, Search Technologies stands ready to assist customers with new purchases of NXT as well as upgrades of older versions. All customers who are current on their Maintenance and Support Agreements may receive this upgrade at no additional cost. Please contact us for additional information regarding purchases and upgrades.
As you will read below, this upgrade focused on much of the underlying code within NXT, the core elements. This work was necessary to bring NXT in line with the most recent operating systems, browsers and document file type versions. Rocket Software has made a significant investment in upgrading the various development subsystems employed by NXT. The infrastructure is now in place for high quality and more frequent releases in the months and years ahead.
Following is an excerpt from the NX 4.5 Readme File. These are the highlights of what’s new in NXT version 4.5. Full details are available in the online documentation.
- Support for Windows 7 - NXT Solo, NXT Offline Publisher, and NXT Builder are all certified on Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Please note that NXT Online Server and NXT Intranet Publisher are NOT certified for use on Windows 7. These products require a Server operating system
- Support for Windows Server 2008 R2 - NXT Builder, NXT Online Server, and NXT Intranet Publisher are all certified on Windows Server 2008 R2 32-bit and 64-bit
- Support for IIS 6 and IIS 7 - NXT Online Server has been certified for use with IIS 6 and 7. The installs have been updated to:
- Register NXT as an ISAPI extension (removing the requirement to enable all unknown ISAPI extensions or to configure the ISAPI extension manually)
- Create a dedicated application pool (NXTAppPool) in IIS
- Enable and automatically configure 32-bit IIS settings on 64-bit platforms
- Improved Adobe PDF Support – We’ve upgraded the underlying system used to index Adobe PDF documents, enabling support for newer PDF documents, including:
- PDF 1.7 / Acrobat 8.0
- PDF 1.7, Adobe Extension Level 3 / Acrobat 9.0
- PDF 1.7, Adobe Extension Level 5 / Acrobat 9.1
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010 Document Indexing - We've added support for Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 document formats including .docx, .xlsx, .xlsm, .pptx
- Virtual Machine Environments Now Officially Supported - We have fully tested and certified NXT to run within a Virtual Machine environment. This was previously unsupported
- Updated Web Browser Support - IE 8, Mozilla Firefox 3.x, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and Netscape 6 browsers have been fully tested and are now officially supported. Note: Because of issues with Safari running on Windows, Safari is only supported on MAC platforms
- BrowsersWndClasses setting has been added to CNServer.ini in order to support additional web browsers when using NXT Solo or Offline Publisher. This setting is a semicolon delimited list of window class names that CNServer should use to detect browser termination
- Resolved MSXML Issues - Fixed issues relating to 500 Internal Server Error when handling XML content. • Updated Installs - The installs have been updated from InstallShield 10.5 to InstallShield 2011
- Default Templates Re-branded - The default template set is rebranded to reflect the new ownership of the NXT product line. Rocket Software (Rocket) acquired Folio, Folio-to-XML, and NXT in December, 2009. The templates now refer to Rocket rather than FAST. Additionally, images for the default templates are updated
- Default Install Path - The default install path has been updated to C:Program FilesRocket productname
- Shortcuts - Shortcuts have been updated to Start | All Programs | Rocket Software | productname
- Default Settings Directory - Site definition files (.sdf) and most configuration settings files (.ini) are stored outside of the Program Files directory in C:Documents and SettingsAll Users Application DataRocket productname. Publishers using Solo, Offline Publisher, or Intranet Publisher can change this default location in the InstallOpt.ini
For additional information, please contact us. We would be happy to discuss NXT 4.5 further with you.