Open Source eDiscovery Solutions
Search Technologies maintains a services practice which builds custom eDiscovery applications based on major search engines, including the Elastic Stack and Apache Solr open source platforms.
COMPLETE, PROJECT MANAGED E-DISCOVERY SOLUTIONS
- Requirements review and architectural design
- Project management
- Ongoing system maintenance, managed services, and support under a commercial-grade service level agreement
- Connectors to popular data sources
With the addition of professional services to customize the application to specific customer needs, open source now provides a highly cost effective option for serious eDiscovery solutions. Further, where customer needs are quite specific, open source affords great flexibility and the customer is not subject to vendor tie-in.
Customers can freely choose to take ongoing support in-house or to contract with competent third parties as necessary.
BUILDING E-DISCOVERY SOLUTIONS WITH POWERFUL, COST-EFFECTIVE TOOLS
Solid eDiscovery solutions can be built using the following tools:
Apache Lucene open source components:
- Lucene: A core indexing and search API
- Solr: A server packaging for Lucene providing a wide range of enterprise search functions and a convenient RESTful/xml interface
- Tika: A document filtering / content extraction utility
- Mahout: A machine learning add-on for Lucene supporting clustering, collaborative filtering, pattern mining, random decision forests and support vector machine implementation.
- Nutch: A crawler for use inside or outside the firewall In some specific cases
Elastic Stack open source components as well as commercial plug-ins:
- Logstash & Beats: data collection, transmission, parsing, and enrichment
- Elasticsearch: search engine for indexing, search, and analysis
- Kibana: reporting and visualization using a browser interface
- X-Pack plug-ins: Security (formerly Shield), Alerting (formerly Watcher), Monitoring (formerly Marvel), Graph, and Reporting
For some eDiscovery applications, it may be pragmatic to use a mixture of open source components and one or more licensed products. Search Technologies provides independent advice in this matter, on a case by case basis.
Contact us to learn more about options for building an eDiscovery solution that fits your organization's needs.