Sharepoint 2013 is delivered with a solid enterprise search capability. Many organizations now adopting SharePoint 2013 have ambitions to provide search across a wider range of content that cannot, or will not, be migrated into SharePoint.
In this white paper, we discuss how to develop a high-performing Enterprise Search application within SharePoint 2013. The key characteristics of a good SharePoint search experience include:
- The involvement of multiple, heterogeneous content sources held in SharePoint, file shares, content management systems, SAP systems, databases, intranet sites, etc.
- Content being subject to document-level security restrictions, controlled by multiple authentication systems
- Content that is typically dispersed (both geographically and topologically) around the organization
- Content held in SaaS applications: Office 365, Amazon S3 buckets, SalesForce, and other cloud-based repositories
- Serving a range of use cases, departments, and applications
The goal is to deliver a SharePoint 2013 search platform that provides secure access to all content sources and enables an array of search-based applications to be efficiently built, customized, and maintained, to meet business challenges and opportunities.