Splunk Alternatives for Log Management and Analytics
Leveraging log files effectively enables organizations to improve IT operational performance and reliability. Splunk is among the leading providers of log management and analytics solutions as it brings excellent user experience, useful plug-ins, and the powerful Splunk Search Processing Language (SPL™). But the growth of log data from various business applications and the increasing licensing costs have led many organizations to look for Splunk alternatives.
VIABLE SPUNK ALTERNATIVES AVAILABLE TODAY
One of the leading out-of-the-box solutions for end-to-end log management and analytics is the Elastic Stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, and Beats), which provides:
- Logstash & Beats: collection, transmission, and parsing of logs
- Elasticsearch: indexing, search, and real-time analysis of log data
- Kibana: log reporting and visualization using a browser interface
- Commerical plug-ins: Security, Monitoring, Alerting, Graph, and Reporting
In addition to Elastic’s offerings, you can bring together a mix of open source and commercial tools to build your own custom log management and analytics stack. Some options that have worked effectively for our customers include:
- Apache Flume, Search Technologies’ Aspire for log data aggregating and processing:
- Apache Spark for real-time analysis
- Apache Spark, MLib for machine learning and predictive analytics
- Cloudera Search, Solr, Lucidworks for search
- Apache Hue, HighCharts, D3 Charts for trend visualization and analysis:
BENEFITS OF OPEN SOURCE SPLUNK ALTERNATIVES
Open source solutions are closing the gap with proprietary software thanks to their:
- Affordability – Splunk’s pricing is based on how much data you index, but open source requires no licensing fees, regardless of your data volume, allowing for better scalability.
- Functionality – open source solutions, such as the Elastic Stack and the Apache ecosystem, provide enterprise-grade features and security.
- Customizability – you can put together different open source tools that fit best with your system rather than committing to a specific product.
- Developer experience – open source allows for more flexibility in query execution, without specific knowledge of complex queries that are specific to a proprietary product (eg. Splunk's Search Processing Language).
FINDING THE RIGHT SOLUTION TO UNLOCK INSIGHTS FROM LOG DATA
We have helped customers leverage log management and analytics tools for a wide range of business applications, including regulatory compliance, e-commerce personalization, fraud detection, insider threat detection, risk management, security analysis, and IT operations/market intelligence.
With extensive expertise in search and analytics applications, we can work with you to assess your current system, provide guidance, implement the application, and support it for long-term performance.
If you are evaluating Splunk alternatives, contact us for a consultation.